At the age of 16, Jack Toth found himself sitting on his bed with his brother’s hunting rifle across his lap, about to take his life. It was a difficult time, but with determination and the help of others, Jack was able to pull out of that dark place, later committing his life to helping youth live with hope and purpose, and not experience the worthlessness and despair he did. Following their marriage in 1982, Jack and his wife Collette dedicated their lives to building the lives of youth — ultimately leading to the founding of Impact Society as a charitable society in 1994.
Through the many people who came on board to team with Jack and Collette, Impact Society grew in understanding that:
- How young people feel about themselves, impacts their belief about self; which ultimately affects behaviour.
- True change occurs when the focus is on youth’s strengths, not on negative behaviours.
- Each of us has the ability to make right choices, despite our circumstances.
- Resiliency increases when internal strengths of youth are built, and those surrounding youth are equipped to support them.
- When youth understand their significance, they will live with purpose, impacting those around them.
This is the foundation of Impact Society’s success. With over 20 years of experience implementing an evidence-based process though the delivery of our HEROES® programs, we have influenced tens of thousands of participants into building personal confidence, character, and integrity – leading them to experience positive change in themselves and their communities.
OUR BELIEF & VALUES
We believe that everyone is created with gifts & abilities (internal strengths) that are unique to them. As a person understands their value, chooses to root themselves in core values and experiences the support of caring, mentoring individuals — confidence grows and decision-making skills increase. The results are the actions of a hero — a person who believes in themselves, chooses the right path and lives with purpose.
Our mandate is to lead the youth and communities we work with in a strength-focused manner — reflecting love, humility, courage, honesty, respect, wisdom and truth.
Impact Society exists to mentor and elevate the gifts & abilities in youth — providing tools and resources that build significance, purpose and leadership skills.
- We provide strength-focused programs and services for the physical, spiritual, emotional, and mental growth of youth and the communities that support them.
- We are passionate about partnering together to empower strength-focused and resilient communities.
- We celebrate and focus on the strengths of an individual and community, not its weaknesses or dysfunction.
- We utilize a restorative, rather than punitive approach.
- We assist to cultivate what you can’t see (internal strengths) so it impacts what you can see (behaviours).
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Board Chair, Vice-President, ARC Financial
VP Finance & Controller, CanAir Nitrogen LP
Aboriginal Partnerships Manager, Tarpon Energy Services and Executive Director, Circle for Aboriginal Relations Society
Managing Partner, TMP Engineers
Author, CEO & Founder, The Power of Focus
Principal, Alternative High School
Charitable Registration Number: 893595686RR0001